include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 6 01:29:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 07:49:13PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > AV scanning is an embarrasingly parallel problem, of course it
> > scales. You might need a few more el cheapo pc engines thats all.
>
> It's curious - but farming it out and still keeping mail delivery to
> a reasonable time has not shown to have much success.

You must be doing something wrong, it is one of the best scaling
problems, both in theory and practice.

> > I'll quote a former manager who shall remain nameless for his own
> > safety, when we had similar arguments long ago...
> >
> > 	"They aren't paid to learn, they are paid to answer the phone"
> >
> > Think about it with a business hat on 8)
>
> I think about it with a sysadmin hat on. And I work in
> academia. There are those of us who give a crap about educating and
> making better users out of what we have.
>
> I make a point to not enable-users to pick up bad habits.
>
> Viewing the world of the internet as something that someone else will
> protect you from is one of those bad habits.
>
> To quote a fictional character of the magical persuasion: CONSTANT
> VIGILANCE!
> :)

Please let the poor physicians and other acedemic staff do their job
instead of updating their workstations. You have been hired as a
sysadmin to make their life easier and protect them from the evil.

While I'm not fond of a policy state, I'd prefer the police watching
over the villains than teaching me kung fu ;)
(or having me buy a gun, which is the sad analogon ...)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de