include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Jan 6 20:46:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 13:23, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 15:04, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > > No one is saying you can't do this! The only thing I've been saying is
> > > that Antivirus for OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS does NOT belong in Core. It
> > > should be in extras, certainly but not in core.
> >
> > That doesn't really follow, though. There are many applications in Core
> > which are there because they facilitate integration of Fedora into
> > environments with legacy OSes -- rdesktop, samba, etc. AV's just another one
> > such app.
> >

> rdesktop you can use with vnc on ANY platform. Samba has been in there
> for a long time. AV depends on access to commercial virus definitions
> iirc. I'd say that's a good reason not to include it.

The clamav peopel do their own definitions. I think you are using too
old experiences/biases for your side of the argument. I think that if
you spent a week or so studying it.. you could come up with much better
arguments.

> And hell, there are N web browsers in FC1 does that mean we should add N
> more?
> No.

Hmmm... just because samba and other windows tools have been there for X
years in the distro.. should they remain there? I actually consider this
a legit question.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645