include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Tue Jan 6 21:04:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 15:57, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> >rdesktop you can use with vnc on ANY platform. Samba has been in there
> >for a long time. AV depends on access to commercial virus definitions
> >iirc. I'd say that's a good reason not to include it.
> >

> I don't think this is the case with clamav. From what i've seen -
> updates are released through sourceforge.net.
>
> As with any other package, licensing should of course be totally cleared
> before adding anything
> to anywhere.

Keep in mind one other aspect of the core/extras discussion -- if it is
of real value in the RHEL product, is mature enough for deployment on
FCn, and there is sufficient interest that it will get tested, RedHat
may be motivated to include it. I think all these criteria may be met in
the case of clamav.

Personally, I'd prefer to see it in core. But it is still true that RH
does alot of the heavy lifting on core, so now that all these opinions
have been aired, I'm happy to let RH do what makes business sense to
them.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>