include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jan 6 21:33:26 UTC 2004

tmus at get2net.dk (Thomas M Steenholdt) writes:

> I have to select and move files around to get the daemon running... there
> is a wrapper in init.d

I do not know a better place for it... /usr/share/clamav might be better,
but I would have to deal with changed %prefix values, while /etc/init.d
is a FHS path.

Red Hat is doing the same with e.g. /etc/init.d/function so that I do
not have compunctions... ;)

> It also depends on stuff like fedora.us specific useradm packages

I do not know how to do a reliable usercreation without it. See

  http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageDynamicUserCreationConsideredBad
  http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageUserCreation

for some explainations.

>>It certainly doesn't take half an hour.
>>
> Sure it will, if you just wanted an antivirus product, saw clamav,
> decided to install it and never saw it before... Heck it'll probably
> take longer, even for somebody experienced with linux but new to
> clamav.

Hey... when I install a '-server' subpackage, I expect that I have to
learn how it works and which security implications it has. So 30-60
minutes should be planned for it.

> I'm raising a flag saying that this will not be a success for unskilled
> persons that try to install linux for the first time...

clamav-server is not intended for unskilled persons that install linux
the first time; use 'clamscan' from main-package for this task. Perhaps
I should make this more clear in the package...

Enrico