include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Jim Cornette cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 23:50:16 UTC 2004

Steve Bergman wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 19:38, seth vidal wrote:
>

>>Available is not the same as IN core.
>>

>That's why I said 'in' FC2.
>
>FC1 contains at least 3 graphical web browsers, at least 5 or 6 text
>editors, 2 ENTIRE desktop environments, graphical toolkits out the
>wazoo, multiple mail clients, a couple of sound daemons, at least a
>couple of CD rippers, at least 2 pdf viewers, a couple of postscript
>viewers, 2 office suites with assorted stems and pieces, and NO email
>virus scanning solution.
>
>I'm all for slimming down by cutting out the needless duplication.  But
>rejecting packages to the point of missing *functionality* is a
>different matter.

I have found that having multiple programs for the same function is a
good thing. I use both xcdroast and gtoaster and also tried out k3b from
another KDE distro. Being open source and a constantly evolving
platform, duplication is a great thing to have.

Multiple desktops is a good thing and I was almost compelled to switch
to Mandrake when it was a RedHat 5.2 w/ KDE distro. Red Hat added KDE
shortly after. I believe 6.0 had KDE and was available in ISO images.

Some people find evolution a decent mailer. I like mozilla and others
like text based or programs like kmail. I like the multiuthreaded
feature of mozilla. I don't care much for the one pile, without filters,
for evolution. It is choice.

With the size of the distribution and what an anti-virus program might
do, is let developers leave the "holes"  in their software and expect
everyone to run AV software to prevent entry through the known glitches.
I doubt it would happen, but a scenario.

If you  communicate with platforms that expect AV programs to catch the
malicious viruses out there, then you need to find alternative sources
for the AV programs.

If the job of keeping malicious entry into the Linux computers becomes
too tough, then add an AV program to the mix.

Jim