include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Jan 7 00:00:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:35:46 +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > As mentioned earlier, you express a subjective point of view.  Based on
> > your personal preference of not being willing to enable a clamav server by
> > copying a few example config files into place, you judge better about a
> > clamav daemon package which you can start right after package
> > installation. You don't care about security implications or flexibility.
> > If you wanted to configure a second daemon, you would be stuck. You don't
> > comment on server packages in Core either which need heavy configuration
> > before a service runs.
> >

> I'm very keen on security and appreciate the stuff that needs to be done
> in order to work in a secure matter. I think I've made my point by now,
> that I AM willing to change configurations in order to configure stuff
> to my need/liking, but thats not the same as wanting to install a
> package that is essentially broken on installation.

Define "broken". clamav client works out of the box. clamav library is
used by depending packages. clamav database and a cron-enabled database
updater work out of the box. The only thing you criticize -- but hey,
wait, you don't provide any details -- most likely is that you think
performing approx. four steps described in a README, which require the
admin to adjust one or two lines in a config file and copy the config file
to a target directory, is too much to ask for. *cough* For some admins it
is even too much to read the top of a config file and take out a line
before a service would start. Even getting sendmail to listen to more than
loopback device is too much. Yeah, in such a world, your point of view
fits perfectly. Install, run, finished. Don't even think about future
package development of a configure helper script or tool that might aid
the reluctant admin while keeping the package flexible.

> Name a core package that requires this amount of fiddling around before
> it will work, and I will comment on it if I have ever used it... I can't
> think on any!

dhcpd, samba, ldap, mrtg, cvs, rsync, this-is-silly. There are many other
services which don't come preconfigured to a level you would just need to
run "service foo start" to get going. Not even mentioning any services
which require GUI tools to configure them.