include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Thomas Munck Steenholdt tmus at get2net.dk
Wed Jan 7 08:02:23 UTC 2004

At some point Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> Name a core package that requires this amount of fiddling around before
>> it will work, and I will comment on it if I have ever used it... I can't
>> think on any!
>
> dhcpd, samba, ldap, mrtg, cvs, rsync, this-is-silly. There are many other
> services which don't come preconfigured to a level you would just need to
> run "service foo start" to get going. Not even mentioning any services
> which require GUI tools to configure them.

Well, lets take samba as an example...

Installing the samba packages puts everything where it needs to be in the
right way. It doesn't need any obscure sysadmin packages that for some
reason is only used for installing this package and not a requirement for
any other. If puts a default config file in the proper location, installs
chkconfig aware initscripts... What you HAVE to do to get samba running is
edit the config file, put in a domain name and enable a service...

This is what I've been talking about all along and that you just won't
seem to recognise. I have NOTHING against having to edit a configuration
file to somehow enable the service to work in a certain manner.

However, as it have been stated elsewhere an antivirus package should be
so much simpler than samba, because it does not have to provide any
unpredicted service (the packager have no way of knowing what the server
on which samba is install will be serving - and even in this case samba
provides a number of template services in the config file that can easily
be adopted to fit the need on a server - An AV product package on the
other hand can probably asfely assume that its going to provide some sort
og virus sweeping functionality)

I think i'll choose not to comment on any more of these claims that I
refuse to change config files in order to get stuff working. I think I've
made my point. Packages should aim to provide the shortest path to a
usable service. I could build this tihng from source if I wanted to, but
that would kinda reck the idea behind RPM now, woundn't it!

Lets not turn this into a pie throwing contest! It doesn't serve any
purpose!

Thomas