include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Thomas Munck Steenholdt tmus at get2net.dk
Wed Jan 7 14:43:44 UTC 2004

At some point Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> Well, lets take samba as an example...
>
> Why you would skip the first example and the other examples from the list
> is beyond me. ;)

Just an example and something that i've been working a lot with!
(dhcpd needs same amount or even less configuration in order to work!)

> Add more steps if you don't want to just run Samba, but also make it share
> data. Compare that with the steps necessary to get a clamav daemon service
> running. The README is just 1539 bytes long, and if you stripped off
> security hints, a disclaimer and contact information, the file would be
> even shorter. chkconfig/service aware scripts are provided, too, btw.

Well what I descriped will actually give you a usable configuration for
samba, shared data, printer and such!

If you rethink the clamav package from fedora.us in a way so it can be
configured from a single file, i'll be happy to stop bitching about it ;-).

> It remains unclear what your Clamav installation scenario looked like and
> in which way you wanted an [unsecure] daemon.

My clamav installation looked like an utter mess and that my complaint.
I don't want an unsecure daemon, but then again, i'm not completely
sure why it would need to be insecure in order to check users mails
anyway... The MTA user got his greesy hands on the mail anyway, what keeps
us from having him check for infections while his at it??? That shouldn't
add a big security risk, should it?

>> Lets not turn this into a pie throwing contest! It doesn't serve any
>> purpose!
>
> It does, it does. Feedback is good, even if it looks unfounded and
> destructive. It gives an idea of whether such a setup procedure may be too
> complicated and whether a package might better stay in the queue until a
> configuration helper script is included.

In this case i'd suggest you have a talk to whoever made the other
clamav packages, and have a nice discussion on what is secure and whats
not. Still my point is that the fedura.us clamav packages is no nice
experience from an installation perspective, compared to the other versions
of the exact same thing.

Thomas