RPM submission sanity check

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Jan 8 16:17:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 17:40, Robert Billing wrote:
> Look chaps, I know I'm the newcomer here and all that, but try to see
> it my way for a while.
>
> I joined this list because I've written a package. I've been using it
> for years to do my own backups - so I know it works. I'd like to enter
> into the spirit of the open-source thing by giving it away free.
>
> I'm a little bit mystified by the submission procedure. And the more I
> read the submission thread the more mystified I get. While I
> understand the need for QA, and can understand why packages ought to
> be PGP signed I really would appreciate a few hints about the way I
> should go.

You're not alone with the confusion on how to submit packages, as can be
witnessed from the "rpm submission procedure" :)

Basically the situation is: there is no official Fedora Extras
repository nor infrastructure currently. Until that exists, people are
encouraged to submit their packages to www.fedora.us according to the
procedures and policies set there, as the fedora.us project is destined
to merge with the Fedora project (what the merge in practise will mean
is yet unknown).

> For example, do I need to have pre and post install scripts? My little
> package contains a C source, a man page, a makefile and a spec file.
> Do I need to add other things to get through QA or is that enough?

Whether or not you need pre/post install scripts and such has everything
to do with your package contents, not with "this must be present in
every rpm". For a simple software like you describe, containing a single
binary and a man page for it, the package will be simple. The bigger a
software gets, more complex the packaging tends to get.

> Would somebody who knows how this works mind pointing me in the right
> direction? Thanks.

Head over to http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraDocuments, and especially
read these:
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy