Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Fri Jan 9 03:04:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:43:30PM -0500, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> And i want to comment on making this a replacement and not providing the
> fully baked rpms, you have to create the full update rpms to get the
> diffs, so they have to exist, and they really need to be available as
> part of a transparent process so people can verify the rpmdiff is
> reintegrating the rpm correctly.

More importantly (for me), apt (or yum) upgrades from a previous
version are going to want the latest packages.  Downloading the
original packages and a bunch of patches is then a waste of bandwidth
(and CPU, etc.).

This whole discussion is bringing back bad memories of HP-UX patch
management.  (/me shudders)

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/