outdated packages in rawhide

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 16:42:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:32:44 +0100, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> >>
> >>parted          1.6.6   1.6.3
>
> > Probably due to heavy patching (10 patches with a total of ~100 KiB last
> > time I had a look at a 1.6.3 package) and libparted's importance with
> > regard to Anaconda (Disk Druid).
>
> yeah, util-linux has also a lot of patches. But nodoby said that to be
> near of upstream would be easy ;-)

Something that external developers can help with right now is looking
through packages and getting the patches back upstream. It really bugs me
that patches sit in .rpm's without going upstream, but it takes too much
time from higher-priority work for maintainers to do the merges very
often.

Note though that sometimes patches can't go upstream because they reflect
distribution-specific integration needs.

I have a util-linux-2.12pre package sitting in CVS that needs merging
upstream before 2.12, doah!
-- Elliot
At the School of Hard Knocks, tuition is always high.