fedora-d-rh] Re: rawhide report: 20040109 changes

Sun Jan 11 02:07:34 UTC 2004

Le sam 10/01/2004 à 05:32, R P Herrold a écrit :
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Elliot Lee wrote:
>
> > The 'imap' package had file conflicts with cyrus-imapd, and dovecot is
> > there if you want to use it, so I removed UW imap.
>
> Hmmm -- Isn't either 'alternatives' and a meta-package
> Provides of pop-server and imap-server; or a set of Conflicts:
> present the better pair of solution options to a file
> conflicts issue?

As someone who's used both uw-imap, dovecot and alternatives
(extensively) I can state that :
- alternatives is a hack - don't use it unless you really need it
- uw-imap config was atrocious compared to dovecot (and people I trust
reviewed uw code and it seems internals are no more pretty than the
exposed config)

plus cyrus has long been a favorite of big imap farms.

The ability to make hard breaks and not leave obsolete code molder for
years in the distro is one of the reasons I trust Red Hat. All hail
Elliot Lee for getting rid of uw-imap.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot