Multi-arch kernel install directories.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jan 12 02:38:11 UTC 2004

Let's say I have an i686 SMP box that has one foot in its grave already.
Given the fact that Intel wants me to cough up something unreasonable for a
Xeon-class CPU, if you want SMP, the logical course of action is to move up
to Athlon MP .

Well, my initial plan of action was going to be:

A) Install the athlon arch kernel RPMs.

B) Shut down

C) Swap the hardware

D) Boot, and direct grub to load the athlon kernel

Unfortunately, there's a glitch here: the way things are packaged, both i686
and athlon kernel images (and i585, blah blah blah) use the same install
directories, images, etc…

Now, the SMP kernels use non-conflicting installation directories and
filenames, obviously, so that you can have both the UP and SMP kernels
installed without conflict.

Methinks the same thing should be done with the different arches too.

Right now, the only way I can think of doing this is to install an earlier
vintage athlon kernel RPM, which is not going to conflict with the 2140
kernel, reboot, then upgrade to the 2140 athlon kernel RPM after getting rid
of the i686 kernel.  Sounds messy.