FC2 Wishlist Items

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Jan 13 03:30:01 UTC 2004

Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>:
> Infrastructure:
> * Beta policy for Fedora Extras and Alternatives
> * Any working infrastructure to implement the policy: package
>   submission tracker, Online Developer's Manual, RPM "textbook",
>   autobuilder, gpg key server, et al.  (Policy is infinitely more
>   important, though.  Who wants to start coding if the policy is
>   going to change before the implementation is done?)
> * Public roadmap for how fedora.us is going to merge with the new
>   Fedora.

Heartily seconded.  The lack of a well-defined, stable submission policy
is the biggest problem I have with Fedora right now,

Yesterday I released an alpha of a new project called "shipper".  The blurb:

   shipper is a power distribution tool for developers with multiple
   projects who do frequent releases.  It automates the tedious process
   of shipping a software release to several standard places, including
   ibiblio, the Red Hat submission directory, and your own hosted
   website.  It also knows how to post a release announcement to
   freshmeat.net via freshmeat-submit.  Two auxiliary tools, buildrpms
   and rpm2lsm, build RPMs and generate LSM files from them respectively.

Right now shipper knows about three public channels: ibiblio, the Red Hat
submission directory, and freshmeat.net.

I'd like to add a "Fedora repository" channel that it can ship RPMs to.
That channel, apparently, has yet to be defined.