FC2: removing gcc32 OK?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 16:47:56 UTC 2004

> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 21:14, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > It sounds like the kernel is going to be using gcc 3.3 - just want to do a
> > final check with everyone that it's OK to remove the gcc32 package from
> > FC2.
>
> kernel-2.6.1-1.37 (todays latest) require gcc32 for sparc :)
>
> I know that sparc/sparc64 is not aviable right now (is sheduled for FC2)
> but probably Tom "spot" will unhappy.

Whole thing is bogus, because the thing is to fix the sparc kernel.
Just send patches to Keith, help him to run with the world. If you don't,
then perhaps you don't want sparc support so much.

But generally, I would like to note that adding support for sparc(32) to Fedora
is insane, especially considering that Pentium was bumped off. If sparc(32)
and sparc64 were the same kernel arch, it might have made some sense,
but they aren't.

Killing sparc(32) is long overdue. It will not upstage Keith, because he
uses Gentoo anyway. And there's always Debian. So, my consciousness is
entirely clear on this subject.

-- Pete