Kernel:IP TCP ECN

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Mon Jan 19 01:37:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Barry K. Nathan wrote:

> That way, they disable it by default, but people who want it can
> re-enable it without recompiling the kernel. The downside (at least with
> the Mandrake implementation) is that some (but maybe not all; I don't
> remember the details right now) people got the new kernel but not the
> /etc/sysctl.conf change when upgrading from older Mandrake releases, so
> they happened to get ECN enabled by mistake.

Better yet, how about a nice ECN startup script with chkconfig support?

Clearly, this [ECN being on] is going to piss a few people off and many of
those folks have never looked at /etc/sysctl.conf so a nice handy service
(with a default to on at install time) would probably make everyone happy
:)

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free