smb browsing broken by firewall

shane at geeklords.org shane at geeklords.org
Mon Jan 19 22:07:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Dan Williams wrote:

> Slight correction,
>
> 255.255.255.255 is the broadcast address for _all_ subnets the machine
> may be on, to everywhere.  (also MAC FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF)
>
> A local subnet broadcast address is, for example:
>
> IP address: 10.0.0.50
> Local broadcast:  10.0.0.255
> Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
>
> If all "host" bits of the address are 1, then the address is a broadcast
> address on the local subnet _only_, as long as all the "network" bits
> match the "network" bit range in the machine's IP address.

Awww of course, I should of said: "_The_ BROADCAST address". Kinda like
saying a internet vs _The_ Internet :).

In this case it was my understanding that netbios over tcp/ip uses _The_
broadcast address? :)

Shane.

--
"Given enough time, all legal battles in the tech industry will invoke the
DMCA. This generally means that all constructive arguments have ended."