FC2 devel/i386 vs VIA EPIA boards

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 11:38:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:06:29AM +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Concerning the i386 and i486 instruction set, I already figured out they
> are slightly different, haven't got to the details though.

486 adds BSWAP (single instruction 32bit byte order reverse) which the
kernel can use, and some locking type instructions. The big thing it adds
over 386 is some memory protection features. These mean a 486+ kernel is
measurably faster than 386

586 adds some further instructions which are used by the DRI layer I believe
although not much the kernel can use except for SMP stuff.

686 added optional cmov and some more minor instructions

Then pentium-mmx added mmx, and we had 3dnow, sse, sse2, exmmx, 3dnow2 etc