FC2 devel/i386 vs VIA EPIA boards

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jan 20 11:48:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 12:27, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Zoltán,

> > NFS and configured a network installation with redhat-config-netboot.

That is a procedure that I didn't try.

> > The said machine pulled vmlinuz and initrd through TFTP and
> > instantly rebooted. After updating my rawhide tree I copied
> > the new initrd and vmlinuz from fedora/core/development/i386/images/pxeboot
> > under /tftp/linux-install/FC2DevI386 and tried again. Same result.
> > The installation kernel should be compiled generic...

Guess you are right. The vmlinuz on the boot.iso and the one in pxeboot
are identical, being the i686 kernel from the rpm. Seems the kernel-BOOT
(generic kernel you speak of) is no longer in use. Weird. Although I
don't think the i686 kernel uses cpu specific instructions the
kernel-BOOT for installation was there for a reason (just platform
compatibility?)

Bye,
Leonard.