prelink question

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 12:41:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:08:56PM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I am building kde3.2-rc with prefix=/opt/kde3.2-rc, so all libs+bins will
> coexist with current fedora.
>
> Can I run prelink on them?  Last time I tried this with kde3.2-beta1 it
> totally broke the code.  I don't know why, although I'm guessing it's
> because of duplicate libraries.

It certainly should not break anything, I need a detailed bug report if it
does.

> Last time, all I did is add /opt/kde3.2/lib and /opt/kde3.2/bin to the end
> of /etc/prelink.conf and run prelink.  Is there a way to do this that
> doesn't break things?

Are you using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to run the KDE3.2 binaries or -Wl,-rpath
when linking?
If the libraries have the same SONAMEs as the system ones, but are
incompatible (which is a bad idea but some projects do it from time to time),
then -Wl,-rpath is the only way to make prelinkable both system and
/opt/kde3.2 KDE binaries.  Though, as I said, even if you prelinked
the KDE3.2 binaries against system libraries, they should still run,
although not get any advantages from prelinking.

	Jakub