Usb memory sticks

Konstantin Riabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:55:50 UTC 2004

Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Hi Again.
>
> The second thing I need help with is USB memory sticks.
>
> Mounting the device from shell is fine for me but I need to learn how to
> write an auto-mount script, for the end-users.
> So just as you will insert a cdrom and an icon appears on your desktop,
> I would like the same for USB mem-stick with one exception. Instead of
> eject it must unmount for safe removal of the device.
>
> does anyone have any ideas or perhaps a beta that I can test drive for
> you?

I have built something like this, except it stops short of mounting
the device. See here:

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~icon/RPMS/hotplug-diskonkey-0.1.1-0.duke.1.noarch.rpm
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~icon/RPMS/hotplug-diskonkey-0.1.1-0.duke.1.src.rpm

It's not perfect, as currently having more than one removable scsi
device breaks things spectacularly, but it's a start. If you want,
you can add auto-mounting to it.

It unmounts the device cleanly once it's removed, so you shouldn't
have dangling mounts as with floppies.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
--