CVS import of SRPMS

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Sat Jan 24 23:25:54 UTC 2004

Things progress pretty nicely. The current version is now a src.rpm:
http://people.redhat.com/laroche/srpm-cvs-*.src.rpm
(Which makes a lot of sense once you use the import script. ;-) ;-)

It has some more tips on how to compile rpms, better documentation
and has most things tested and working now...

> The next step in this process is to agree upon a sane CVS structure that
> we will have to live forever with.  I do not consider myself qualified
> to design the CVS structure.
>
> Will we be using a side repository for binary tarballs rather than
> checking in huge binary files into CVS?

The script allows both: side repository for binary stuff (which trimms
a full FC down to less than 100MB) or a full repository.

The current state now allows to define branches, tag on a daily/weekly
basis and send out diffs of changes. So people with lots of repositories
could start experimenting with branches and bigger collections.
I don't think the end result has to be one big server with everything in it.
I'd rather just setup local servers on a "as-needed" basis and delete
them as soon as "upstream" has the needed patches in. (Write access
and sending/merging diffs again is a bigger item that someone could
start to attack and throw some ideas around.)

Thanks for the feedback that got already send in,

Florian La Roche