Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun Jan 25 00:11:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 08:45, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> But one thing that gets overseen in this discussion is that the binary
> patches that SUSE distributes are actually archives containing
> (selected) patched binaries. Such "binary patches" are much easier to
> implement.
So you're saying the SuSE method copies the files from
foo-1.0-2.Patch-RPM into the file system and then modifies the rpm
database to think it has foo-1.0-2.rpm installed?  If so I instinctively
dislike it because it changes the idea that installing _package_
foo-1.0-2 is the way I add foo-1.0-2 to the rpm db.  (Correct me, but I
think even --justdb only operates on packages.)

That's partially a knee-jerk reaction, though.  Perhaps discussion of
the merits or deficiencies of the SuSE method belongs on rpm-list where
people more involved with the future of rpm would comment?

-Toshio
--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>