problems with today's rawhide

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Jan 25 19:05:23 UTC 2004

On Jan 25, 2004, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yeah, anaconda-images needs an update, it's on my whiteboard already :-)

Cool, I won't file it then :-)  Unless you ask me to, of course :-)

> More realistically, I should just drop them and save the disk space (aka
> memory overhead)

Save the disk space for a single, hard-linked shell script that runs
lvm2 `basename $0` ${1+"$@"} ?  Not a lot of savings...  But if you
prefer, go for it!

> See bug 114092, sounding more and more and more like a kernel bug :)

Thanks, it looks like the same bug, indeed.

> Yeah, the lvm2 tools aren't very smart :(

stdout/stderr should be directed somewhere else, though.  It's fine
that it scans all devices it gets its hands to; it's bad that this
messes the screen up.

>> Genius EasyMouse+ PS/2 mis-detected as Whell Mouse in anaconda
>> start-up

> It is a wheel mouse, though isn't it?

Nope, just regular 3-button.  It's the NetScroll+ that has 3-buttons
and the middle button is 3-in-one, doing vertical scroll too.

> You probably can't tell anything else.  The PS/2 protocol is pretty
> primitive.

I can't promise FC1 got it right, since is a headless box that I
install most often with kickstart only.

>> system-config-users won't create new users.  clicking on ok produces:

> Should probably be filed.

114266

Some additional issues:

SSH and su fail to log anything to local syslog.  sendmsg fails with
permission denied or something to that effect.  SELinux issue.

firstboot doesn't run on kickstart installs, which is correct, but it
prints what appears to be an error message at the end of the `detail'
run, just before rhgb finishes, so it's hard to tell it's just saying
firstboot has already run (although it hasn't!)  it took me a few
reboots to see what it was actually writing there.  it probably
shouldn't be there.

filesystems marked as never-check (as created by the installer) show
up as `(check on next mount)'.  That, plus the initial back up of the
journal inodes on the first boot got me worried there might be some
suspected filesystem corruption, so I rebooted with shutdown -r -F,
all filesystems were fine, but then, on the next boot, it once again
said filesystems would be checked on the next mount.  doh!

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}