An introduction of the new cheerleader...

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Jan 26 14:06:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Jef Spaleta wrote:

> Rik van Riel wrote:
> > but I think that
> > the community goals really should be determined by the
> > community and not prescribed by Red Hat ;)
>
> I disagree...i think Red Hat as the managing entity needs to
> to lay out some initial focus for community development. Red Hat needs
> to define where they are going to 'allow' community to work on. Wouldn't
> it suck...if community people...in a group...started working on things
> in good faith only to be told 4 months later that Red Hat wasn't really
> interested in their work?

Also, keep in mind that RH's goals / uses for Fedora are to some extent in
conflict with the community's goals, so RH won't be very happy if they let
the goals be set solely by the community as Rik suggests. RH seems to
envision Fedora as a test bed / beta test for technologies which can
potentially be commercialized in RHEL (and there's certainly nothing wrong
with that). That's not always going to coincide with things that the
community at large wants / needs, as projects like RULE illustrate....

later,
chris