Updating RPMs using binary deltas (demo)

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Jan 26 15:13:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 05:47, Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
> makerpmdelta.sh script
> --- cut ---
> rpm2cpio <$FILE1 >$FILE1.cpio
> rpm2cpio <$FILE2 >$FILE2.cpio
> --- cut ---
>     This way you loose pre/post install/uninstall scripts AFAIK. Also what
> about signed packages? I don't say that not having xdelta/patch like tool
> for rpms is a good thing, but it looks like it's not that easy...
>     Take a look in the list archives, there was a discussion about this
> problem.

I've tested this on a few rpms I have laying around and it handles
signatures and scripts so far.

I think this part later in the makerpmdelta.sh script takes care of the
non-cpio parts:
  # Bundle the 1st rpm and the 2nd cpio together (we really only need
the
  # non-archive bits of the first rpm)
  cat $FILE1 $FILE2.cpio.gz >$FILE1.tmp
  xdelta delta -p $FILE1.tmp $FILE2 $FILE1.delta

As a proof of concept this works so far for me.  Unless someone else has
already done this, I think I'll test it against the updates-released
repository and see if I can generate any errors.

-Toshio
--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>