not SVN?

Christopher M. smith cms at kronos.net
Tue Jan 27 15:06:51 UTC 2004

On Jan 27, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 02:14, Warren Togami wrote:
>> No.  We have thoroughly examined all alternatives to CVS and found
>> each
>> to be either lacking in necessary features, not mature enough, not
>> free
>> enough, or too inefficient.
>
> I assume it's on the list, correct? I'll do my homework tonight to see
> how it
> went.
>
>> Subversion I recall fit into the "too inefficient" category.
>
> Do SVN people know about that? They have been pretty helpful in the
> past and
> they have a fairly aggressive development cycle (maybe a bit too
> aggressive
> IMHO esp. when it comes to backward compatibility ;-) . Has anyone
> showed
> them where their product is flawed?

Earlier versions of Subversion had issues with the mod_svn connectivity
via
httpd being quite slow.  However, I have never found the native mode to
be
anything other than comparable to running CVS: both tunneled over an
SSH connection.

As for an aggressive development cycle, the real issue was when the
database
schema was constantly changing.  Latest releases are not focused as
much on
the schema, so you should be able to get some bang for your buck
without having
to constantly upgrade / do reimports of your repository.

Current version is 0.37, which works quite efficiently as far as I am
concerned.  To
address each point mentioned earlier:

Free Enough: http://subversion.tigris.org/project_license.html.  Judge
for one's self.

Necessary Features: Comparable or better than CVS and eliminates some
of the
more annoying issues with CVS.

Mature Enough: I think so, but again, you would need to decide that for
yourself.
For a project like Fedora, I think it would be more than adequate for
handling
that which is required.

Efficiency: I did some perusing of the list archives looking for this
discussion, and
I was not able to find significant mention of this.  I would be
interested in seeing
some related empirical data to back up statements to the inefficiency of
Subversion.

CMS
--
Christopher M. Smith