An introduction of the new cheerleader...

Cristian Gafton gafton at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 17:15:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Chris Ricker wrote:

> Also, keep in mind that RH's goals / uses for Fedora are to some extent in
> conflict with the community's goals, so RH won't be very happy if they let
> the goals be set solely by the community as Rik suggests. RH seems to
> envision Fedora as a test bed / beta test for technologies which can
> potentially be commercialized in RHEL (and there's certainly nothing wrong
> with that). That's not always going to coincide with things that the
> community at large wants / needs, as projects like RULE illustrate....

We have every intention of keeping this a two way street. It would be
arrogant, to say the least, for Red Hat to allow in Fedora only projects
which are of consequence to RHEL. There are developers working at Red Hat
that enjoy hacking on a random weird thing as well as the next guy.

That being said (and in response to another question about limits and
bounds), it is unlikely that we'll adopt every random optimization
enhancing compiler patch (or kernel patch, etc). For things at the core of
the Fedora Core we will continue to exercise extreme caution given the
possible impact (plus, we do have a pretty good process of review when
those requests)

Cristian
Cristian Gafton     --     gafton at redhat.com      --     Red Hat, Inc.
  "There are two kinds of people who never amount to much: those who
   cannot do what they are told, and those who can do nothing else."
        --Cyrus Curtis