Installation tree not matching boot media

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 21:02:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:18 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Is there a way to get the installation working nevertheless or am I
> completely stuck needing to install FC1 and upgrade from there? Looking
> around the VTs, I can't find any message explaining the reason for the
> mismatch nor what exactly is checked to report it.

And since I've been asked a few times by people hitting this recently.

This check is very intentionally not able to be bypassed.  Not all of
the modules used for an installation are located in the initrd, so if
you don't have a matching initrd + second stage, then you very likely
can't load important modules like ext3, all of the LVM stuff, etc.  This
used to lead to lots of weird bizarre bug reports that I couldn't quite
place -- since adding the check, those haven't really been a problem at
all :-)

Cheers,

Jeremy