Updating RPMs using binary deltas (demo)

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 13:41:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 13:22, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Rsync puts a load on the server, which is probably not what you want.
> These delta's (have you tried these scriptlets yet?) can just be
> downloaded. Patching is done at the client end, and the resulting rpm is
> identical with the full version. The fact that rpm now uses the
> "minigzip algorithm" blows all objections against using xdelta out of
> the water. It's amazing.

rsync currently puts a load on the server because it reads the file and
builds a set of hash data for each request.

It would appear quite possible to produce either:-
      * a prebuilt table of file hashes using some external tool
      * a cache of hashes held by the rsync server

Much of this is similar to the problem of html index pages for
directories on a public mirror system.

	Nigel.