abiword/gnumeric MS compatibilty (was Re: rawhide report: 20040128 changes)

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Wed Jan 28 21:37:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 16:26, Kristof vansant wrote:
> To me it doesn't matter how many programme's there are for the same task
> as long fedora only installs one by default and as long the programma's
> can read each others formats.
>
> I was wondering how good .doc and .xls support is in abiword and
> gnumeric. It's the primary reason I'm using openoffice. I must be able
> to exchange data with MS office users.

.xls in gnumeric has been good for a long time.

Since abiword 2, columns have been supported, and I have not had any
problems in abiword.

But in both instances, I mostly read. I cannot remember when I last
wrote in a non-free format. So YMMV.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please