rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 06:33:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Julien Olivier wrote:

>> > IMHO, abiword really belongs in Extras.
>>
>> Then IYHO, so does the rest of GNOME Office, KOffice et all, by
>> extension?
>>
>> :)
>
>I think the smiley isn't necessary. Fedora Core should only contain 1
>app for each task IMO (the one that is selected by default). All the
>rest should be in extras. And that includes KDE for example.

It's *definitely* not that simple nor hard-line of a decision
process, and probably never will be.  There are _many_ factors
that go into deciding what will be in core and what will not be
in core.  Different packages may have different factors that
contribute to their inclusion or exclusion, and a rule that
causes one package to be excluded might not weigh high enough
for another package depending on that own package's merits and
other factors.

Removal of pine for example, did not set a rule that we now will
remove all text based email clients.  Each and every application
is subject to a variety of generic baseline qualifications for
wether it should be in Core or not, as well as individual
considerations based on the app itself, and other similar apps in
the distribution, security, technical matters and other
considerations, and that also includes community input as well
of course.

The important point I'm trying to make though, is that no single
rule can be hardline applied across all software, except for
certain specific situations such as "legal issues" and whatnot.

We obviously want wherever possible to reduce application
duplication of functionatlity, but not in a way major way that
totally changes the entire project upside down, or sends 99% of
users running looking for a new OS.

More rational suggestions are definitely welcome, and more likely
to be considered seriously than radical enigmatic
change-the-world ones.

It's a good idea before making a suggestion, to also go to the
http://fedora.redhat.com website and review the stated project
goals/mission statement material and determine if a particular
suggestion is in line with the project's published goals, or way
off base.

There are lots of good suggestions passing by on the list, which
is nice to see, but yours falls short.