mplayer vs. xine

Arvind Narayanan arvindn at meenakshi.cs.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Jan 30 08:30:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:31:28AM -0500, Brian C. Huffman wrote:

> With mplayer (which I've just recently installed), I've had better
> stability (although it has crashed on inline movies), but I don't know
> the extent of the formats that it can play.
It plays everything (assuming you're ok with using proprietary codes
of course).
Have you checked out http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/?
You can simply drop win32 codecs into /usr/lib/win32 and it just works.
> Also I haven't seen a
> frontend to mplayer so far....I assume that one does exist.
>
> Thoughts?  Experiences?
All the skinnable media players make me want to gouge my eyes out, without
exception. There's at least one front end for mplayer - gmplayer, but
I haven't used it. I'm perfectly comfortable with the command line
interface. Which is also extremely useful for automated dumping and
re-encoding of large numbers of files in proprietary format streamed
through proprietary protocols :-)

Cheers,
Arvind
--