Upgrade of unmaintained packages

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Fri Jan 30 15:43:30 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I have a question about distribution upgrade : how should we deal with
unmaintained packages which don't work in the new distribution ? Let's say
we have included a program in Extras (or main) and the project stops for
some reason. At some point in the future, the program will stop working
(API change, glibc upgrade, ...). How should we deal with such a package
(except not including it in the first place of course ;) ) ?
We could tell Anaconda to remove it (well I don't know much about Anaconda,
but I suppose it is possible), but what about online upgrades using yum or
apt ?

Thanks for your explanations

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
"As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours ; and
this we should do freely and generously." -- Benjamin Franklin