Split off kernel-header/devel package (was: No more kernel-source(code) ???)

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Jul 4 11:37:47 UTC 2004

Hi Axel,

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 12:58, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:40:22PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > actually it 100% is. kernel-devel, if it ever comes to a reasonable
> > thing, will be in *addition* to what is there right now not as
> > replacement.
>
> Maintaining two solutions for the same problem? It is per definition
> error-prone and predestined that one of them will deteriorate over
> time.

I'd like this situation resolved just as much as you do, but I'm not
always following what you're trying to say.

Please let's keep it constructive.  Which "two solutions" are you saying
Arjan is hinting at ? AFAICT he means something that is installed "on
top of" the current kernel stuff.

You make a blanket statement shrouded in mystery then based on that
preposition make a true, but irrelevant, broad sweeping statement.  The
point should be made on the truthfulness of the assumption, not the
result :)

> And after all, we are trying to fix the current methods of kernel
> source/headers deployment, so hacking on your own package design won't
> help you. It was all you gave us, and we did our best in the given
> framework.

I agree with this as well; Arjan has commented a lot on what we WERE NOT
supposed to do in the past, but I'm pretty sure there is no viable
solution Arjan can propose that we could have invented instead in the
2.4 period.  I respect Arjan's work, but really, insulting us as a
community about why we used the kernel-source rpm without ever having
given us any suggestions on what we should have done instead is not very
constructive either :)

Arjan, please, if there is something we should have done instead that
satisfies the obvious requirements, then please say so; if not, then
please don't ever ridicule outside people again for working around the
broken packages we got from Red Hat.

In fact, I'm pretty sure if there had been some sort of open process
where we worked together *before* the facts we could have gotten a nice
solution for us all.  Let's focus on that for the next iteration ?

Thomas

Are you happy where you're sleeping ?
Does he keep you safe and warm ?
Does he tell you when you're sorry ?