FC3 wishlist - sound server

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 05:20:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:42:36 -0400
"John (J5) Palmieri" <johnp at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 13:21, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 19:02 +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> >
> > > What about including a good sound server and use it by default? I don't
> > > know what's best, but Jack seems ok.
> >
> > I still don't see the point of using a sound server when ALSA allows for
> > software/hardware sound mixing from different sources.
>
> Network transparency.

Practically nobody uses network transparency in X, except some geeks
who remember what an X terminal was. I saw an endless progression of
various network audio servers, starting with NCD's NAS in 1989 and going
from there. There's just not a compelling application for a network
transparency of sound samples. Mind this is very different from media
streaming in general - the way, say, VideoLAN does it, by virtue
of streaming compressed over some sort of loss tolerant and congesion
aware protocol.

If JACK wants to survive, it has to support media streaming. Once it
does it, it automatically becomes "too complicated", and an undergrad
somewhere starts a new network transparent audio project immediately,
thus the cycle continues.

-- Pete