Browsers [was: Fedora Core 3]

Marius Andreiana mandreiana at rdslink.ro
Wed Jul 7 10:06:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 10:50 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> > I don't know if you've looked at the Fedora Extras Firefox package, but it's
> > nicely integrated so that in Gnome, you can choose it as a 'preferred web
> > browser', and you get it instead of Mozilla when you hit the web browser
> > button or any other time Gnome wants to show a web page.
> >
> > Unlike /etc/alternatives, this is a per user choice, which makes more sense
> > for an application like this.
> >

> I hope we won't see paperclip dialogs like: "Firefox does not seem your default browser. Would you..."
No, the browser shouldn't check if it's default. It just does it's job.
It depends on gnome/system what browser it starts or with what it opens
the links when user clicks on shortcuts. As said, preferred browser can
be set in Preferred Applications.

/etc/alternatives doesn't make sense for this.

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania