nominate for removal: ethereal

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 8 15:20:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 04:21, Phil Knirsch wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > So, would it be completely inappropriate to nominate ethereal for
> > removal from fc3 due to its spotty history of security problems?
> >
> > It seems like an excellent place to start thinking of packages that
> > should be maintained, in fedora extras, by the people interested in
> > using them, not by the central developers at red hat.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >

> Well, maybe i as the package maintainer of ethereal here at Red Hat for
> now a little over 3 years can give my $0.02 to this topic.
>
> Your request is certainly not inappropriate at all, i've often wondered
> why we (and especially i) still maintain this package and we keep
> shipping it in every released product.
>
> The thing is: It is a very very useful tool, even more so imho than
> tcpdump. And especially for network debugging it is invaluable.

My main problems have been with it not handling over 2 gigabyte data
capture files. Other than that a lot of the problems always seem to be
libpcap and then some stupid parsing problem with ethereal stuff.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until
-- tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed.