What makes a package nominated for Core? (was: nominate for removal: ethereal)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jul 8 15:34:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:15:50AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:08:25 +0200, Axel Thimm <axel.thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> > What is really the criterion/policy for deciding to add to Core (and
> > thus the CD/DVD distribution) or not?
>

> You ask only half a question. Just as important if not more important
> at this point is criteria for moving packages out of Core and into
> Extras.

Well, if you give me the answer to half my question, I will give you
the one to your half. Obvioulsy any package including the current ones
not satisfying inclusion criterions for Core will be moved out.

> From the discussion I've seen, there is a significant pressure to
> keep Core from bloating into the 5+ disks. In fact i think moving to
> 4 disks has probably raised some subconcious red alerts. I think
> there needs to be a target Core distribution size set, then criteria
> for pushing packages out of Core into Extras to get Core down belong
> that target size...then we can talk about criteria for nominating
> packages for Core, that goes beyond the very inefficient package by
> package case by case discussion that sort of has to happen now.

Size bloat is one criterion, of course, let's see what else will be
gathered.

This is something the steering commitee should simply clarify, to
understand at last the difference between Core, Extras and all
that. Otherwise we will enter once again the endless loop where the
community suggests 1001 good solutions/concepts out of which exactly
zero are picked from.

Does this sound like I'm weared off, or what?

Axel "the one that has made too many suggestions archived under
/dev/null" Thimm. ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net