Fedora Core 3 wishes

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 14 17:25:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 07:59, David Nielsen wrote:
> I'll just add a few I forgot.
>
> 100% ALSA, I really hope we can move 100% to ALSA, I know it will be
> painful (I take it some drivers aren't in ALSA yet, I haven't checked
> though). But it would seem that having both ALSA and OSS support causes
> the volume control to display two mixers for my emu10k1 card, that's
> just bad style. ALSA is set to replace OSS fully at some point in the
> near future anyways, now is as good a time as any to reduce complexity
> and dump OSS.

Last I saw, the OSS modules are not even built in the Fedora kernels -
Fedora is already 100% ALSA AFAIK! What looks like "OSS" is the OSS
compatibility mode that ALSA has. Dumping that would be a really bad
idea(TM) since there are still a lot of applications that expect to be
able to dump out audio the OSS way, this shouldn't go away for several
more years I'd say. It seems that the volume control needs to get a bit
smarter about what it displays; I don't know if there's any useful way
to figure out that the two mixers presented by ALSA (the ALSA-native and
the emulated OSS ones) are really connected to the same hardware. If it
isn't possible perhaps something needs to be added to ALSA to make it
possible to fgure this out. In fact, something seriously needs to be
done about the volume control, it seems to display zillions of useless
controls...
/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University