nominate for removal: ethereal

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jul 14 22:13:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 08:14, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:

> Having a (strict) SELinux policy for it might be a good thing btw. :-)

Actually, that's something that security-minded people have long been
dreaming of: capture all traffic on the network interface(s), perhaps
even in promisc mode, but somehow at the same time not running the
sniffer itself as root, but as a user with much lower privileges.

I guess a clever SELinux policy would achieve the same thing. Now that
SELinux is in Fedora, i guess we could as well put it to good work. ;-)

Running Ethereal, tcpdump and Snort in a SELinux "cage" would be
wonderful. I'm looking forward to it.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/