yum from cron setting http_proxy

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Jul 15 10:49:48 UTC 2004

skvidal at phy.duke.edu (seth vidal) writes:

>> > The proxy handling in yum-HEAD is much improved for setting proxy
>> > options. It is set per-repository stanza so you don't have one global,
>> > clumsy proxy variable to work with.
>>
>> Mmmh, please do not invent yet-another method for setting up the
>> proxy. $*_proxy and $no_proxy environment variables are already
>> supported by the most applications and are handling 98% of all
>> practical cases.
>
> There is no way to set a proxy for multiple repositories when you have
> different urls in the list of baseurls.

This is probably one of the remaining 2% of cases ;) But I do not see
much sense in such a configuration. Saying for the http:// schema: "when
$http_proxy is set and host does not match a $no_proxy entry, then use
$http_proxy. Else, use direct connections" is the normal case, and is
*not* supported by yum/urllib.

This method works well on CLI tools (wget, curl) and browsers (w3m,
lynx, konqueror) which are specialized on WWW-access, and it can be set
globally (e.g. with a /etc/profile.d/ script). I do not know, why yum
would need a yet-another proxy-configuration.

Enrico