Gnome image viewers

Michael Favia garbage at insitesinc.com
Fri Jul 16 01:16:26 UTC 2004

David Zeuthen wrote:

>Well, we just had a discussion on cameras and Nautilus (well, GNOME VFS
>actually) over on utopia-list at gnome.org the other day and the consensus
>was that you should only use Nautilus for browsing device whose primary
>and maybe secondary use was random files.
>
>Thus, for cameras and photos you should use a dedicated photo management
>tool sort of like gThumb that of course should start automatically when
>plugging in a digital camera.
>
>Cheers,
>David

I think i might misunderstand your evaluation but I disagree with this
assessment as i understand it (which is possible because wording these
things can be a bit tricky). I think that Nautilus should be a
comprehensive file browser for file systems of any type regardless of
the content percentage. However to increase responsiveness and slim down
the codebase the operational capacity of nautilus should be limited with
respect to any individual file type (e.g. display thumbnails and basic
exif of images but dont enable color balancing). Such "deep" operations
should be reserved for the niche applications that provide an integrated
environment for making such changes. In short Nautilus should be the
proverbial guy who knows everything but cant really do all that much. If
depth is the "operational capacity" of an application and the surface
area is the "areas of knowledge/expertise" then nautilus should be a
very large shallow pool. And niche applications like GIMP, gThumb and
others should be small deep pools that exert their increased level of
expertise and are functionally designed with the particular filetype in
mind.

In short nautilus should not extend itself very far into any area of
expertise (short of file operations) but instead remain a general tool
to organize, browse and make trivial changes to thoose files. Simple
nautilus should be able to change on those things that are used during
the file browsing (seems to just make sense to me). Maybe i am not clear
enough... id be happy to expand on it if youd like. Please forward this
post to anyone youd like.

Best Wishes,
Michael Favia
Insites Incorporated