FC3 (and beyond) wishlist

David Nielsen dnielsen at breakmygentoo.net
Fri Jul 16 12:41:52 UTC 2004

I think something like Red Carpet is very nice, I mean you could have
seperate channels for Core, Extra and 3rd party repos. And now that
Ximian released Open Carpet it might be worth it - I do seem to recall
us having been down this path before though. But I agree, we DESPERATELY
need a frontend for yum. As for excluding it just because it was
developed by Ximian (now Novell) and that that company is a competitor
is just silly, if that was the case we would have to remove Evolution,
OpenOffice and a basically every other app in the repo since it wasn't
specifically developed by RedHat - the beauty of Open Source is that we
couldn't care less about such issues, if it's good - we ship it (There
are silly legal issues at times with e-patents and other nastiness which
must be considered as well though).

On the subject of sounds, I seem to recall of the default actions being
linked to a none existing sound file - also ogg support in the sound
event system would be nice (GNOME issue, not a FC issue though).

- David