Fedora Core 3

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Sun Jul 18 01:10:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

> Does anything actually stop you removing the x86-64 mozilla and
> installing the x86-32 one with FC2. I've not tried this but can't
> see any obvious reason to fail

You'll need to install many iX86 RPMs, mostly for libs obviously,
many of which overwrite files belonging to the x86_64 versions of
those RPMs. Mostly documentation and headers admittedly, not a big
deal, but some binaries too, which is annoying. (eg
/usr/sbin/iconvconfig in glibc RPM).

Why on earth weren't /(usr)?/bin64 directories created for the FC2
x86_64 port for x86_64 binaries to be installed to? ;) PATH is far
easier to manipulate than all those preexisting RPMs. (hindsight
20/20 possibly).

regards,
 	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune: