Yet another FC3 wishlist

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jul 20 11:01:33 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 20.07.2004 um 17:30 Uhr +0700 schrieb Michel Salim:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:24:10 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis
> <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> > Am Di, den 20.07.2004 um 1:16 Uhr -0500 schrieb Michael Favia:
> > > Indeed Intel Pro Wireless support (2100, 2200) would be most welcome.
> >
> > The License of the Firmware is not redistributable (as far as I can
> > interpret this "lawyer"-english).
> >
> > http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=2
> >
> The firmware is indeed not redistributable, but SuSE managed to make
> set-up almost trivial in 9.1 by including the kernel module but then
> requiring their users to download the firmware themselves.

If you find it in YOU ;-)

[...]

> IMHO Fedora could do better :)

Yes, but how? Even livna.org will (AFAIK) not serve the firmware as RPM
as they are respecting licenses. And thats correct IMHO.

*Maybe* it could be done similar to the solution with the macromedia
flash plugin (display License during install). But thats IMHO not an
ideal solution...

IMHO Fedora needs a special application that assist you at downloading
things (like this firmware) and then builds RPMs from the files
automatically. Similar to the solution found in Suse. That could be used
for other Software with "problematic" (Redistribution-)Licenses like
Java, Acrobat-Reader also. But I currently don't have the know-how and
the time to do something like that (and it's also not an ideal solution
- I know...).

CU
thl