pine: UW permission to distribute

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jul 20 23:39:25 UTC 2004

Hi Warren,

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 00:19, Warren Togami wrote:

> I personally don't care, as long as it does not legally encumber us, it
> is supportable (we have the source and ability to distribute
> modifications to it), and it is legal within the USA without patent or
> DMCA type problems.
>
> I am not aware of any problems in these ways with pine, but IANAL.

The problem is you can patch with security fixes only. No other
modifications whatsoever can be applied when distributing as binaries.

An approach might be to only distribute in srpm form (from a semi-free
branch? - where have I seen that before, but then copyright (and
trademark) tagging might be a valuable approach). This way you avoid the
patched binaries issue. Not very convenient to the user I know. Still
you should inform the user of the redistribution issues.

Leonard.