Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed Jul 21 14:13:43 UTC 2004

Hi Bill,

> > How do the Red Hat developers perceive this issue? Is the "intersection
> > between OSI and FSF" approach a good enough compromise for you?
>
> It's probably more-or-less mirrors the policy now.

Good catch from Warren: Are you speaking of Core or Extras? Assuming the
latter:

Yes, but can we make that policy *explicit* please. That is the whole
point of this thread. The fact that although many people assume we are
using *something* *like* the FSF and/or OSI definitions of open source
some obviously don't (open software versus free source). Now if we can
get the precise definition used in writing the former could slap the
latter with a reference to that definition.

Or we could rediscuss and try to come to a consensus in an open way, but
that might take a little longer ;-) .

Leonard.