s390 ctc0 interface not coming up

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Jul 22 16:52:07 UTC 2004

Hi,

Using hercules, I managed to get Fedora Core Development for s390 installed
and running. My remaining issue is that the ctc0 network interface doesn't
come up in the installed system, although it got configured fine and got
used at install time. The network service reports "OK", but the interface
doesn't appear.

Here's the content of my ifcfg-ctc0 file, it's the post-install default and
seems correct to me :

# IBM CTC
DEVICE=ctc0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.200.3
IPADDR=192.168.200.3
MTU=1500
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
NETWORK=192.168.200.3
ONBOOT=yes
QETH=yes
REMIP=192.168.200.4
SUBCHANNELS=0.0.0600,0.0.0601
TYPE=QETH

And the last lines of the dmesg output (nothing regarding ctc0...) :

[...]
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
NET: Registered protocol family 10
Disabled Privacy Extensions on device 002155f4(lo)
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
divert: not allocating divert_blk for non-ethernet device sit0

Is this a known problem? I could investigate some more, but it's just so
annoying to have to prefix all commands with dots and not having command
completion... if only I got the network working! ;-)

The last thing I tried was modprobing the ctc module (I checked, it has no
options itself, dunno where the SUBCHANNELS stuff is needed) and doing a
"service network restart", but no better even though it reports "OK" for
ctc0, and ifconfig on ctc0 still reports that the device isn't found.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Load : 0.09 0.32 0.33