IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jul 23 19:08:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:21:05AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
[snip snip snip, here and throughout]
> -move starting some of slow things from rc.sysinit to a service, detect
> if they really needed early in rc.sysinit and then call/source the
> service script.

Having dependency info in the init scripts and running stuff in parallel
when possible might help here.

> -Introduce a desktop kernel as a counterwheight to the enterprise
> kernels which leaves out more advanced server stuff such as raid,
> devicemapper, advanced routing, etc.

Those aren't "enterprise" features anymore. I use raid (well, mirroring) on
my desktop system, and lvm as well. (In some ways, it's *more* useful at
home, where I don't have a big tape backup system.)

> -on a normal desktop, all these checks should work without USB, so usb
>  will be started later as part of the runlevel, again the subsyslock
>  should avoid double starting.
> -ofcourse there needs to be a way to tell rc.sysinit to always load USB
>  early

I think this is a dead-end path -- it won't be too long before *most*
systems have usb keyboards and mice.

> -make mkinitrd try to rmmod sd_mod, if this succeeds scsi is clearly
>  not needed for disks, so don't put the scsi modules in the initrd

This seems kinda icky.

>  (netfs mounts like /archive or /lotsofmp3s really aren't all that
>   interesting to get mounted instant IMHO)

You should be using autofs for those anyway....